Mar 15, 2011

Knee Update

So, two weeks ago, I went in for arthroscopic surgery on my knee. I'm happy to report that I'm recovering extremely well. I have my full flexibility back, and now I'm working on regaining my strength. I start physical therapy today, too, so I'll get a set of exercises that I'm sure I'll have to do every day.

I saw my doctor last week so she could check up on how I'm healing and write me a prescription for physical therapy. She's happy with how quickly I was up and on my feet, and with how few pain pills I needed to take (one. seriously, that's it). She also had color photos from the surgery, so I got to see the actual tear in my meniscus. It was bad!! The torn tissue had flipped under itself, forming a hard ball. She said it was kind of amazing that I'd been walking around for so long on that, because it would feel like I had a little rock stuck inside my knee. And, yeah, that's kind of how it felt. :) So I'm very glad I went ahead and got the surgery before that tissue had a chance to mess up my cartilage.

I'm planning to take it slow and not push myself too hard (which isn't easy for me; I tend to push myself beyond my limits), while trying to maintain a steady improvement. It's nice to be able to sit on the floor with my kids again, and now that it's starting to warm up I'm hoping to be able to play soccer with them once the grass comes up.

5 comments:

kellyhashway said...

Tabitha, I'm glad to hear you are recovering well. Try not to over do it.

Christine Marciniak said...

I'm so glad you're recovering quickly!

Tabitha said...

Kelly - I am notorious for doing that, so thanks for the reminder. :)

Chris - me, too!! :) I'm not a very good sick/injured person. :)

Tabitha said...

Update: I love my physical therapist! She put me through all kinds of stuff this morning, and WOW I'm tired. But she discovered that I've got good strength, but it's not balanced. The outside of my leg is stronger than the inside, and that's likely what's pulling my knee cap off center. So she gave me lots of exercises to do.

In general, though, she's pleased with how well I'm healing. She wants to see me twice a week for the next two weeks, then once a week after that. So fingers crossed that I'll be back to normal very quickly. :)

Legacy said...

Tabitha glad to hear everything went okay. I'm so glad you got the surgery. I put mine off way too long and I payed for it in the long run. Its good you have most of your motion back thats like one of the first and most important things you have to work on. So glad you did it and got it done. This way its taken care of and you don't have to worry about future problems and trust me my recovery was not fun. Make sure to do all your excercises and you'll be back to normal in no time. So happy to hear you being so positive about it too helps you heal quicker.
xoxo.