Mar 29, 2011

But I Don't Want To!!

Both the boys started karate last month, and it was quite the convoluted beginning.

When I asked them if they wanted to try karate, Youngest said no. But then he heard Oldest say yes, and he changed his mind. "Mommy, I'll just try it. Okay? I'll try."

I said okay, and signed them both up for a trial class. That way, if one or both of them didn't like it, we could walk away and not worry about losing any money. Well, when the trial day came, we walked into the dojo and Youngest started pulling on my arm and wailing. "Mommy, I don't want to do karate! I don't wanna!" I told him he didn't have to, but for some reason he didn't hear me and kept wailing over and over again that he didn't want to do this. I finally had to take him to a corner, get down on my knees, and put my face a few inches from his.

Me: Hey, sweetie, look at me! No one is going to make you do karate. If you want to do it, you can. But you don't have to. Okay?
Youngest: (surprise all over his face) Oh. Okay.

We went to the classroom, and I fully expected Youngest to be sitting next to me the whole time. But then the teacher led the kids in a few laps around the room to warm up, and the next thing I knew Youngest was running right there with him. He passed by me, smiling and waving, and kept going. When the teacher lined up the kids to start training, he lined up, too, and went through all the kicks, punches, and blocks just like everyone else.

When class was over, he ran up to me practically yelling "Karate is the best thing in the whole world! Can we do it again right now?"
I just stared at him. I mean, seriously?? We went through that whole tantrum, in public, for this?
The teacher heard him and chuckled, then explained the karate was over for the day but that he could sign up and come back another day. So Youngest turned to me and asked "Can we sign up right now and come back tomorrow?"
He asked me that at least five more times, even though I answered each time with a 'yes, of course we can.' :)

I signed them both up that same day, and it's something they look forward to each week. But it's funny how kids will dig in their heels when they think they're being forced into something, isn't it?

5 comments:

kellyhashway said...

My daughter does this too sometimes. I'll say yes to something and she'll cry--completely not realizing that I said yes. I wonder why this is.

LM Preston said...

I know how you feel. My youngest 2 have the strongest opinions and will go all out bullistic in fighting me. So, I have to resort to mild persuasive Jedi mind tricks. Lol!

Tabitha said...

Kelly - it's weird, isn't it?? It's like they get something stuck in their heads and they need to be sort of shaken out of it. In Youngest's case, I have to put my face inches from his so he can't see anything else, and then he listens. It's so bizzarre. :)

LM - LOL!! I use Jedi mind tricks on my oldest. It's worked really well so far, but I think he's catching on. I'm going to need a new strategy soon! :)

Catherine Stine said...

It's a combination of their fear, and their need to individuate. Observed at a distance, it's pretty durn funny.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Ah, aren't kids sweet. Someday you'll look back on these years and smile. Yes, you will.