Apr 27, 2011

Basket of Grapes Cake

On monday night, my kids school put on a Teacher Appreciation Dinner. They do this every year, and the dinner is prepared and served by parents. I always decorate two cakes (different flavors), but this year I did something different. I made one huge cake--three 8" round layers, combined with a sheet cake cut into thirds. I alternated layers of chocolate and spice cake. Then I assembled it all and decorated it to look like a basket of grapes.



I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I didn't account for the hugeness of the cake, and it was a little unstable when I went to move it (I've never made anything this big before). Plus, I used real grapes instead of making fondant grapes, and the juice mixed with the frosting a little too much, causing it to ooze a bit. But it held up, and I got it to the dinner in one piece. :)

9 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Impressive and beautiful!

Tabitha said...

Thank you! :)

Catherine Stine said...

Wow, what a great looking cake!!!
My best one was for July 4th--I made one that looked like a flag, the stripes made with white icing and strawberries, the square corner studded with blueberries.
People really love these things and I'm sure your students were blown away!

Tabitha said...

Thank you! The teachers did like the cake a lot (I'm not a teacher, I'm just a parent and contributed to the dinner for the teachers). They thought it was beautiful, and they said it tasted good, too. That's just as important! :)

I'll bet your flag cake was gorgeous! What a great idea to use strawberries and blueberries for the stars and stripes. :) Cake decorating is fun, isn't it? :)

Jessie Harrell said...

wow! I'm impressed. Your icing looks like a real basket. Nice.

Tabitha said...

Thank you! The basket-weave piping technique isn't actually difficult. It's just time consuming. It was harder to assemble the cake into a basket-sized shape. :) I had to cut up the layers and then piece it all together. It was like a puzzle with no picture to help me along. :)

kellyhashway said...

Wow, wow, wow! I'm speechless. That's just plain awesome!

Tabitha said...

Thank you! :)

Dawn Brazil said...

That is very impressive. Wow!!!