Jan 11, 2011

A Writer's Retreat

Last weekend, I participated in a writing retreat. That is, I checked into a retreat center and wrote all day long for two whole days. It was, in a word, amazing.

Normally, I only get a couple hours of writing time per day because Youngest is in school half-day. He comes home before lunch, and then I drive him all over the city for things like baseball, gynmastics, soccer, etc. It's not really possible to get anything done once he gets home.

So, to be able to sit and write with no possibility for interruptions was just heavenly. I wrote almost thirty pages in two days, worked through a really difficult transition in my story's plot, and figured out the rest of my outline. Even though I worked my butt off and my brain was exhausted at the end of each day, I left that weekend feeling so refreshed and relaxed. It felt SO GOOD to write.  Guess I'm a writer through and through. :)

I'm going to keep this momentum I have going as best I can, even with the two hours per day. It'll keep that smile on my face. :)

7 comments:

LM Preston said...

That is awesome. Unfortunately, that format doesn't work for me. I'm have an attention problem that doesn't allow me to sit for long periods and only write. But I blow through about 5 pages a session and have 2 write sessions a day. Since my outline is written, I've pretty much thought through the possible roadblocks early on. I also write with my 4 loud kids and mayhem. Funny thing is I get my best writing done with all that noise around, lol!

Mary Witzl said...

I've got LM's problem. I tend to do better work when I can divert myself with gardening and cooking. I can write with music in the background AND noisy kids in the room -- as long as they're not trying to engage me in conversation.

If I ever go to a writer's retreat, I'll take something noisy to distract me, or maybe a couple of potted plants to tend.

Liz Davis said...

Great for you. I'd love to attend a writer retreat one day.
I hope you keep that great feeling you took back home.

Catherine Stine said...

Congrats, yes time makes a big difference!!!

kellyhashway said...

Good for you! Sometimes I think a full day of writing would be glorious--okay I think that more than just sometimes! I envy you!

Andrea Mack said...

Wow - it sounds like a really valuable experience. Definitely something I'd like to try one day.

Elizabeth Kolodziej said...

thank sounds wonderful! I got to do something similar myself during my week off from work over the holidays. I went to maine and for three days straight I just wrote. I got around 30k done in that period. I love just being able to sit down and get so involved in my story that nothing else seems to matter. of course you gotta have that bottle of wine around too. hehe

<3's and fangs,
Liz ^_^
www.vampyrekisses.com