Jan 4, 2011

Happy Holidays!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday!!  We were in London and India for much of December, and also went to Florida over Thanksgiving. Too much traveling over too short a time span! Live and learn, I guess.  :)

We're pretty used to traveling, though, and we take our kids with us. In fact, I've been to India four times now (all my in-laws are there), Oldest has been there three times, and Youngest has been there twice. It takes two days to get to India, so we're all accustomed to long plane rides. In fact, Youngest asked a hilarious question just before Thanksgiving...

Me: Guess what? We're going to see Grandpa in Florida over Thanksgiving! Does that sound fun?
Youngest: (squeals) Yes!! Who else is going to be there?
Me: Well, Great-Grandpa and Grandma, and there will be a couple kids to play with, too, who are your age.
Youngest: (more squeals, then he stopped and looked very thoughtful) Mommy, how many days will it take to get to Florida?
Me: (stifling laughter) It's only 2 and a half hours.
Youngest: (aghast) Two and a half days? That's really long!
Me: (laughing now) No, sweetie, two and a half hours. You could watch a movie on the plane, and when it's over we'd probably be landing.
Youngest: Oh! Okay. (he grins) That's really short.

I guess it's all in your perspective.  :)

3 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

It took us four days to drive from California to Florida, when I was twelve (flying wasn't an option). A trip to India would have been beyond my wildest dreams -- I envy your sons!

Tabitha said...

We drove everywhere when I was a kid, too. Flying was never an option, so we would drive to Floridato visit my grandparents, in my dad's '71 Volkeswagon camper bus that had no air conditioning and couldn't go faster than 55 mph. I learned a lot of patience on those trips. :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Relating travel time to your child in terms of a movie was a lot easier, not to mention more palatable for him to digest. :) Must seem like a really long time to a child to travel for two days.