Sep 14, 2010

Isn't That Cool?

I love learning new things.  There is just something so satisfying about discovering something new, or viewing an old thing from a new perspective.  It adds a bit of light to an otherwise dark and boring world.  I can't get enough of learning.

So, since I love learning so much, I try to instill that love in my own kids.  How do I do it?  The low-down conniving way, of course.  :)

Ever since the boys were little, I have liked to explain littl tidbits of info to them.  Whether it's how a can opener works, that trees give off oxygen, that bats eat hundreds of insects each night, or that automobiles didn't exist 150 years ago.  And then, after each tidbit, I add the phrase "Isn't that cool?" with as much enthusiasm as I can muster. 

Oldest used to just smile and nod, but Youngest is turning that phrase over in his head.  I can see the gears working, like he's taking the information I just gave him and making it cool.  Then he smiles and starts talking about something completely unrelated.  It's just what he does.  :)

But now, Oldest is coming to me with questions about the world.  How do people make puzzles?  Can you see planets in the sky without a telescope?  How do you make buttermilk?  What do horses eat?  It's awesome.  And if I don't know the answer, we'll go look it up.  Isn't that cool?!  :)

4 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Very cool. Reminds me of my son's childhood phrase: "That's strange. What else is strange?" This would launch us into a game of real and imagined strange things.

Tabitha said...

We do the real/imagined game, too. It always starts with characters from a book or movie, then we move on from there. Such as:
"Are Jack and Annie (from the Magic Treehouse series) real?"
"Are volcanoes real?"
"Did a volcano really erupt in Pompeii?"

It's great fun, isn't it? :)

Kristopher and Crew said...

Have I ever mentioned how much I love the location of your comments box, even though I forget where it is every single stinking time? Well I do, I love it.

Anyway, I posted an award for you over on my site today!

Check In To The ROUS Motel!

Tabitha said...

Thank you!! It sure is a lovely award. :)

And don't feel bad...I sometimes forget the location of the comments, and it's my own blog. :) But I do like where they are, too.