Mar 5, 2010

The Self-Absorbed

So, yesterday I was in a fender-bender and spent a good chunk of my morning at the police station filing a report. And why? Because some girl in her twenties got impatient at traffic that was backed up due to a really bad accident. She pulled into empty parallel parking spaces, flew by twenty or so cars, and then attempted to cut back in line right in front of me. Except she misjudged the space and scraped her car along mine.

Then, she had the nerve to yell at me because she hit my car.

If someone understands this, then please explain because I don't get it.

And then there is a user on a book discussion board I go to sometimes. She trolls the boards and basically insults and attempts to squash anyone who doesn't agree with her. Um, hello? Why does the world have to bow to her opinion?

Again, I just don't get it.

When I see people like this, my first reaction is to say "What is wrong with people today?" But that's not a fair reaction. Yes, there are some people who are so obnoxiously self-absorbed that everyone around them suffers. But there are still lots of people who aren't. Like my friends, some of my family members, and plenty of you all out in the blogosphere.

So, I'm going to keep telling myself this and attempt to ignore those obvious few who are so loud that they seem like their number is twice as many.

5 comments:

ali said...

First of all, I'm so sorry about the accident and it's nasty intrusion into your day. I'm sure you didn't think that was a super-fun way to spend your day. ((hugs))

And about self-absorbed people like that? I'm with you. I just don't get them either. I wish I were a tad more assertive than I am, so in that regard I admire people who know what they want, go for it, and don't let things stand in their way.

But surely there's a compromise between decent human goodness and being assertive. Right? At least, that's what I hope for.

Christine M said...

So sorry about your accident. Not a fun thing to deal with - and made even worse by the person's attitude.

I never quite get those people who only think about themselves. Sorry you had to deal with one of them.

Tabitha said...

Ali - thanks. And I totally agree that there's a compromise between decent human goodness and assertiveness. That's what I strive for, but I tend to err on the side of human goodness and end up getting walked on. Ah well.

Christine - I don't get it either. I mean, it's not hard to see the other people walking around...

Yunaleska said...

Sorry about your accident. They aren't fun. Can you still drive the car ok? My first and only accident meant my car wasn't road worthy. I was in so much shock, but thankfully the idiot who drove into me was nice about it, and admitted it was their fault straight away.

Tabitha said...

The car is driveable. Actually, there are only a few minor scratches because I stopped before she hit me. You can hardly even see the damage, it's so small.

It was the fact that she yelled at me because she was trying to cut me off and it didn't work. I just don't get that!