Jun 30, 2010

Pigeon Invasion!!!

I'm being invaded by pigeons!  You think I'm joking, but I'm not.  I have insane pigeons trying to take over my house.

See this guy?  Yeah.  He looks so harmless, doesn't he?  Well, it's all a disguise.  A big front.  A way to get you to let your guard down.  And then, he'll pounce!  Or peck, or whatever.  :)

So, here's the story.  We live in Chicago, and Chicago has an abundance of pigeons.  We also have a small deck on our roof, which you can get to through my office.  Pigeons like roofs, so, naturally, they took a liking to our deck.  That wasn't a problem until this year, when I planted a vegetable garden in containers up there. 

At first, the pigeons stayed away.  But they've gradually been trying to take over.  It started so innocently.  They stayed on the deck rails, but never stayed for long, mainly congregating on the roof of the building next door.  Then, they migrated to the actual deck, sitting in the shade that the plants provided.  I shooed them away, but they kept coming back.  Then, they started eating my tomato plant!  Not the tomatoes, the actual plant.  Well, that really set me off.  I got a pair of wooden clogs and stomped around the deck, making lots of noise and screaming at them to get the **** off my deck.  I'm sure my neighbors think I'm certifiable right now.  :)

But, that's not why I think these pigeons are insane.  They are insane because they are trying to take over my house.  As in, my house house. 

I was sitting in my office trying to get some writing done, when a pigeon landed in front of the door leading to my office.  The door has top to bottom glass, and the pigeon tried to jump through the glass to get into my office.  He smacked into the glass, of course, but that didn't stop him.  Oh no.  He tried again, and again, and again, until I finally got up, got my clogs, and started my stomping rampage again. 

But it didn't stop there. 

I've got windows on two other walls, and that pigeon landed on each window sill and tried hopping through the glass.  He did this to each window, a few separate times.  I tried shooing him away, but it wasn't as effective as stomping around the deck in my clogs.  So I went to my local hardware store and told the friendly lady all about my pigeon woes.  Her eyes got bigger and bigger, and when I was done, she just started laughing.  It is pretty funny, I suppose.  :)

She recommended a plastic owl, but not just any old owl.  There are apparently higher end owls that have moving parts to better simulate a real owl.  So I got one with a moveable head--it spins all the way around, and reminds me way too much of Poltgergeist.  But, hey, I was hoping the pigeons would be as freaked out about it as I was.  :)

I put the psycho owl on my deck, and so far it's doing its job.  The pigeons have retreated back to the deck rails, but it bothers me that they haven't given up my deck entirely.  I'm wondering if they're going to regroup and then try again in a few weeks.  If they do, then I will have to break out the big guns.  Anyone know if pigeons are afraid of super-soaker water rifles?  :)

8 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

I'm laughing. Sorry, it'd probably freak me out (and tick me off) but since I'm a safe distance away (and you can't sic the owl on me), I'm laughing.

Is there some wise advice online on how to get rid of pigeons? You know, without killing them?

Jennifer Shirk said...

LOL! It is funny--if you're not the one living with it that is. :)

Tabitha said...

Yeah, it is pretty funny, and I'm sure I'll be able to laugh about it someday. :) Well, laugh without sounding like a crazy person, anyway. :)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

OMG funny! And HEY you live in Chicago too?? We're out in the burbs (Palatine). We had these adorable small birds come peck a hole in the wood siding of our house and take up residence! It was almost impossible to get them to leave. Finally, we gave up.

Tabitha said...

Too funny! My mom had the problem with bees, which was more problematic and had to be dealt with.

So far, the pigeons are staying on the rails. The owl is doing his job quite well, though I did have to tie some christmas ribbon around his neck. Apparently, these plastic owls are more effective if something around them is constantly flapping. So now I have this strangely festive owl on my deck... :)

But, hey, he's keeping the pigeons away, and I don't need to go stomping around in my clogs anymore. I'm sure the neighbors appreciate that. :)

Mary Witzl said...

I'm laughing too!

We had a pigeon problem in Cyprus and kept them away from our balconies by using CDs on strings, plastic crows with rotating heads, and (although we weren't allowed to have one) a cat. The cat was the most effective. She really WANTED to bring one down -- and they knew it.

Good luck with the plastic owls!

Bradmouth said...

Good stuff here, though. First, you're like the coolest mom ever.

Second, this reminds me of the time I made a three layer valentine cake for a significant other. I felt like I was disarming a bomb. It's nerve wracking.

theBrad (verla tag)
Bradmouth.com
www.facebook.com/bradmouth

Tabitha said...

LOL!! Thanks, Brad. :)

And I completely agree that cakes are akin to disarming a bomb. One wrong move and it could blow up in your face...not deadly, but it certainly leaves you very sticky. :)